I heard the news the other day and I took a few days to really think about what this means. See the official announcement on the Instagram blog. According to Instagram, “most users miss on average 70% of their feeds.” So they’ll be using a similar algorithm to their parent company Facebook to change the chronological feed to one that appears based on the likelihood you’ll be interested in the content and your relationship with the person posting.
You can Google it but I thought the Buffer blog did a good job of expanding on the topic. The change isn’t immediate. They are currently testing it and have said it will be rolled out in the coming months. I love all things social media so this won’t change how I use Instagram but from my experience with the algorithm on Facebook I actually miss a lot of posts so I’m hoping they can figure out a way to allow users more flexibility with how they want to view their feed.
As a small business marketer this is tough but like the blogs have said, it’s inevitable as they roll out advertising with brands. I hope the algorithm is as helpful as they think it will be. With the small business clients I have worked with I always focus on social media and it’s a bummer that those brands that don’t have a large marketing budget can’t utilize social media to it’s fullest potential unless they pay to play. That’s life.
Now I’m curious to see how this new feed will look.
I’m trying to figure out what’s next for me…
- On this blog: I still want to figure out what to write about. For me I think “lifestyle blog” is more my style but I’m thinking about my niche. I love food, interior design, DIY, social media and marketing.
- With my career: I’m really happy with where my career is going. I’ve been learning so much at my current job with marketing automation, partnerships and webinars. I love learning so I’m really happy with this experience but I’m also looking towards gaining strengths and building my skills for the career I want. I think I miss school…
- With my side hustle: I’ve been trying to figure out what I want to do for my side hustle. I’ve been freelancing with SMB marketing and social media so if I can make this go somewhere I would love to do that BUT I’ve also been thinking about event planning. I love what I see on Instagram with the event planning space. After doing a lot of the details for my wedding, my sisters gender reveal, her wedding, her baby shower and my nephews first birthday people have told me I should do event planning but I don’t know where to begin and there are so many amazing event planners I feel like I have a lot more growth in this space. We’ll see. I need to just take a leap of faith.
- With my family: when I say my family, I mean my nuclear family – my husband and I. Now that we are married and in our early 30s my biological clock is ticking and my family is starting to get on me about starting a family. My husband and I have been together for so long we just find it normal for it to be just to two of us. I can see us starting a family but we’re not in any rush but my age is starting to make me think otherwise.
- For 2016: we’re nearing the end of the first quarter of the year and there is still so much potential for this year. For the short time this year we’ve been making the most of it but there is still so much to do, see and celebrate. The main focus for us this year I hope will be travel. We both have so many place we want to go, I hope we can make more time for travel in 2016. So far we’ve been exploring locally but I hope we can go further than California and if all goes well internationally. I need to make 2016 my best year yet…I’m focused!
I’m not a fan of not knowing but I’m trying to embrace the possibilities. Lot’s of potential and I can’t wait to see where the year takes us.
After a short hiatus and a major loss of my website. I let this space go but I decided on a reboot. So here I am. Back at it.
Sadly, I lost my website and most of my archives when my site went down. That and issues with my outdated computer, I kind of just let it go. Rather than have to piece everything together I decided to start fresh. I’ve been blogging since the Livejournal/Xanga days. I think I’ve tried every (if not most) of the blogging platforms. It’s funny to think of all those old blogs out there but I want this space to be a mixture of my career (aka my day job) and my life (everything else). I’ve been wanting to give this a go for a long time and I often talk myself out of it but honestly there is nothing like the present so here I am.
Currently I’m working full-time as a Marketing Manager and in my free time I enjoy spending time with my husband, my family, my Godson (my nephew Matix) and friends. I’m a big fan of social media (career and for fun), binge watching shows on Netflix and Hulu, reading, taking online courses, crafting especially papercrafting and I have a bit of a planner obsession. You might also find blogs about fashion, food and travel. You’ll see a little bit of everything on my blog. You can also follow me on social media. Check the header for links.
Can’t wait to keep this space updated regularly. Here’s to day one.