Memorial Day Weekend was Monday so it was a short work week. I work from home on Friday’s so I get to work in my “home clothes” all day. I’ll generally get dressed if I need to leave the house during lunch but mostly not. haha. That doesn’t mean I don’t work though, I’ve had some intense Fridays. This may be one of them but it’s the morning so the day is young… I did get up this morning to celebrate National Donut Day. This is actually not just a day made up by social media – it started in 1938 as a fund raiser for Chicago’s The Salvation Army. Their goal was to help those in need during the Great Depression, and to honor The Salvation Army “Lassies” of World War I, who served doughnuts to soldiers. I had no idea, but it’s a great excuse to eat donuts with the hubby. We went to the local shop down the street, nothing fancy – it’s very no frills so I got a maple bar because they didn’t have my fave glaze twists.
That said, previously I was doing 5 Things Friday so to pick that up I’m sharing my 5 goals fo r this month.
- Study/Learn Spanish. Last week I made it a point to open my Duolingo app to learn Spanish everyday. It was a quick exercise but it felt good to stick to something all week so I plan to continue using Duolingo and taking it further by listening to Spanish podcasts everyday. I studied Spanish in high school but it didn’t stick. I remember some of it but it takes me a while to translate conversations and I can’t speak it in full sentences so I have a lot of work to do. I’d always told myself I’d learn it by 30 but I never was active about it so what’s better than the present?
- Sleep earlier. I’m a night owl no question about it. I have a hard time falling asleep early. I often stay up until 12:30 or 1 am on work nights (sometimes even later if i’m not sleepy), which makes it hard for me to get up in the morning. I don’t think I’ll ever be a morning person per se but I’ve read so much about the importance of sleep that I want to give it a go. If all goes well, my next goal will to get up early enough to workout before work…we’ll see how this goes first. One thing at a time. haha
- Finish a book (or three). I’m a book lover. I love reading and I’m a fan of owning books (I like the feel of them over ereaders). I have no real reason why I don’t read because I have the time. I just don’t make time for it. I picked up the Career Code by the WhoWhatWear girls so I really want to read that first and then see where that goes.
- Declutter. In May the plan was to declutter. I was on a mission and then I stopped. I need to donate, sell or toss out my stuff. I have yet to Spring clean and as I work towards minimalism, I really need to go through all my stuff and just edit the items I own. We have no plans this weekend, so I plan to tackle a chunk starting tomorrow.
- Cook. We eat out a lot. Way more than we should really. It’s a terrible habit that I chalk up to busy schedules and convenience. We’ve been needing to save more and I need a new car ASAP so this will really help me to save money and hopefully lose weight. I need to meal prep for work but also cook dinner so that we have leftovers for lunch. If we can eat out less, that would be such a success.
In general, my goals are a part of my focus on intentional living. With time flying by, I want to focus on really doing the things that make me happy with the people that make me happy and spending less time on the things that don’t. I guess my theme for 33 is “living an intentional life.”