Memorial Day Weekend was Monday so it was a short work week. I work from home on Friday’s so I get to work in my “home clothes” all day. I’ll generally get dressed if I need to leave the house during lunch but mostly not. haha. That doesn’t mean I don’t work though, I’ve had some intense Fridays. This may be one of them but it’s the morning so the day is young… I did get up this morning to celebrate National Donut Day. This is actually not just a day made up by social media – it started in 1938 as a fund raiser for Chicago’s The Salvation Army. Their goal was to help those in need during the Great Depression, and to honor The Salvation Army “Lassies” of World War I, who served doughnuts to soldiers. I had no idea, but it’s a great excuse to eat donuts with the hubby. We went to the local shop down the street, nothing fancy – it’s very no frills so I got a maple bar because they didn’t have my fave glaze twists.
That said, previously I was doing 5 Things Friday so to pick that up I’m sharing my 5 goals fo r this month.
- Study/Learn Spanish. Last week I made it a point to open my Duolingo app to learn Spanish everyday. It was a quick exercise but it felt good to stick to something all week so I plan to continue using Duolingo and taking it further by listening to Spanish podcasts everyday. I studied Spanish in high school but it didn’t stick. I remember some of it but it takes me a while to translate conversations and I can’t speak it in full sentences so I have a lot of work to do. I’d always told myself I’d learn it by 30 but I never was active about it so what’s better than the present?
- Sleep earlier. I’m a night owl no question about it. I have a hard time falling asleep early. I often stay up until 12:30 or 1 am on work nights (sometimes even later if i’m not sleepy), which makes it hard for me to get up in the morning. I don’t think I’ll ever be a morning person per se but I’ve read so much about the importance of sleep that I want to give it a go. If all goes well, my next goal will to get up early enough to workout before work…we’ll see how this goes first. One thing at a time. haha
- Finish a book (or three). I’m a book lover. I love reading and I’m a fan of owning books (I like the feel of them over ereaders). I have no real reason why I don’t read because I have the time. I just don’t make time for it. I picked up the Career Code by the WhoWhatWear girls so I really want to read that first and then see where that goes.
- Declutter. In May the plan was to declutter. I was on a mission and then I stopped. I need to donate, sell or toss out my stuff. I have yet to Spring clean and as I work towards minimalism, I really need to go through all my stuff and just edit the items I own. We have no plans this weekend, so I plan to tackle a chunk starting tomorrow.
- Cook. We eat out a lot. Way more than we should really. It’s a terrible habit that I chalk up to busy schedules and convenience. We’ve been needing to save more and I need a new car ASAP so this will really help me to save money and hopefully lose weight. I need to meal prep for work but also cook dinner so that we have leftovers for lunch. If we can eat out less, that would be such a success.
In general, my goals are a part of my focus on intentional living. With time flying by, I want to focus on really doing the things that make me happy with the people that make me happy and spending less time on the things that don’t. I guess my theme for 33 is “living an intentional life.”
It’s been a month since I updated. I pretty much fell off for May. No real excuse but I lacked motivation and ideas on what to write. I know it’s always something but I really don’t feel bad about it because it was a great month. I’ve been working on utilizing my time better. I have a tendency to be a bit of a couch potato once work is done for the day so I’ve been trying to work on being more productive. That said in June I’m continuing to work on being more intentional with my time and working towards the life that I want.
In April I turned 33 and in May we celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary. I look to those times as fresh starts and I think of this month to start fresh on my goals. I’m picking back up on my quest to be a blogger (sarcasm) and to stay focused this month. Cheers to a new month. Now enjoy this song. haha
I’ve been reading a lot of articles on Medium.com lately, which got me thinking about my personal brand and blog. After reading this blog post about “Why I write…” I decided to share “why I write…”
- Writing is an outlet for me and I want to strengthen my writing, so I write.
- They say the more you do something the better you get, so I write.
- Even when I don’t feel confident or that anyone would read my blog, I write.
- The more I write, the better I feel about it.
- As my writing gets stronger I feel better about writing.
Ever since I was a kid I was writing. When I was in grade school I’d have notebooks of stories that I never share with anyone. As I got older I kept a journal and eventually various blogs on several platforms. I used everything: Xanga, Live Journal, Blogspot, WordPress, Tumblr and my own website. As long as I can remember it’s been my outlet but I’ve never taken it seriously. It’s always been something I wanted to do but I never pursued because I wasn’t a strong enough writer. Looking back I often wrote how I wanted to write regularly in my blog but I never did. Despite seeing how people have taken their blogs professional I never thought that could be me until now.
I’m trying to change my perspective on my career and my ability to do the things I set out to do. I’m honestly my own worst critic and I need to make a shift.
So this is why I write…to help myself grow and to become a stronger writer.
Why do you write?
I can’t believe we are already going into the second quarter of 2016 tomorrow. April officially marks my birthday month. hahaha I say birthday month because my mom is the Queen of birthdays and I often celebrate several times. I’ve already made plans to meet a fellow April baby, I’m going to San Diego, Disneyland and Tahoe plus I’ll probably have a birthday dinner and maybe celebrate on my mom’s birthday April 30. I’m sure to people who care less about their birthday I’m going overboard but for me, it’s another year to celebrate family, my life, my health and love. While I don’t love attention, I love a great celebration.
Q1 has been fun. I’ve been able to do a lot but have also had down time where I didn’t do much of anything. My wanderlust hasn’t gone anywhere but I’ve helped keep it under control by visiting SoCal several times, going to Sacramento and exploring the Bay Area. I’m all about new experiences and trying new things especially food so I’ve been Yelping a lot more and I’ll soon be including some food posts here on my website. Everyone always tells me I should be a food blogger and I figure why not try to start it on my lifestyle blog since it’s a big part of my everyday life.
While I hate how fast time is flying by, I’m happy to say I’ve enjoyed the first quarter of the year and I’m looking forward to the next. In April, I want to really focus on my goals and utilizing my time. I love my Spark Planner because it makes you thing about your 30-Day Challenge. This month I’m focusing on getting out of my comfort zone and finally start making my dreams/goals a reality.
I want to make this happen because…as I turn 33 this month I need to stop making excuses and just get it done.
Some things I’m going to do this month to help me stay on track are:
- Workout 4 times a week
- Start cooking and meal prepping so I can eat better and save money
- Walk/stretch or move on my breaks at work
- Start doing Yoga and stretching everyday
- Get off of the couch more and out of the house
- Explore my city and go to local events more / while traveling
- Write more/blog 5 days a week
- Use my Skillshare account and Duolingo app
- Finally declutter my apartment (considering the Kondo method), set-up my craft space and use my cricut machine
That’s a lot to think about but it will help me stay focused on getting healthy and losing weight, getting out of my comfort zone and hopefully meeting new friends and continuously learning.